Jailton Almeida was released from his UFC contract after a unanimous decision loss to Rizvan Kuniev earlier this month at UFC Vegas 113, and he’s already teasing another home in the sport.
“Malhadinho” was let go by the UFC following back-to-back losses to Alexander Volkov and Kuniev, and took on social media on Friday to address the news for the first time.
Advertisement
“Guys, I’m here to thank all of you who cheer for me, who celebrate with me, and who followed my journey in the UFC,” Almeida said in Portuguese. “I had 11 fights, 4 ‘Performance of the Night’ [bonuses], and I feel very fulfilled to be part of this organization. Thanks to the entire UFC staff, everyone who helped me and gave that support. Everyone was polite and treated me very well.”
Almeida was victorious in eight of those 11 UFC appearances, finishing his opponent in seven occasions, but lackluster performances on his main event victory over Derrick Lewis and the recent defeats affected his case despite voicing the intention to return to light heavyweight.
“It’s not these two losses that will define who I am,” Almeida said of the losses to Volkov and Kuniev. “I’m a dedicated, focused, determined guy. Humble, as I’ve always been.”
Almeida’s manager Leonardo Pateira recently revealed on social media they have received several offers from MMA promotions hours after news broke of his UFC departure, and the 34-year-old fighter teased an announcement could be imminent.
“It’s time to think about new challenges and chase new dreams,” Almeida said. “It’s going to be that same old way. We’ll have news very soon. I’ll be back on the scene again.”
