Ettore Messina has raised questions about the NBA and FIBA-backed project designed to establish a new basketball structure in Europe, warning that clubs could face significant financial risks.
Speaking to Adnkronos, the four-time EuroLeague champion said there is still too little information about how the proposed model would actually operate.
“The problem is that right now we do not have a clear understanding of what this model actually consists of. There are a lot of people who want to participate, and there is the dream of making a lot of money, but you have to spend a lot just to get close to it,” Messina said.
He cautioned that while some organizations could benefit considerably, others may invest heavily without receiving the expected return.
“Like all selective things, in the end, some will be happy to participate, while others will burn themselves out having tried and failed,” he added.
Messina also discussed the growing competition in Italian basketball. Clubs have increased investment, while two new teams from Rome have added further interest ahead of the 2026-27 campaign.
“I expect very hard-fought games,” Messina said. “There are teams that have strengthened themselves, and there are two new clubs in Rome.”
The 66-year-old believes those developments could make the upcoming Italian league season even stronger.
“I think this could be even more competitive than it has been in the recent past, where things had already gotten interesting, but now there are more teams claiming a place in the sun. I think it will be a beautiful season.”
Messina revisits NBA Europe project: “Others will burn” in the expansionhttps://t.co/uETV3HGoir
— Eurohoops (@Eurohoopsnet) August 21, 2026
